Assignment One/Women in Film/ 4-5 pages/ 40 points (possible 5 pts. bonus)
Choose a film that contains roles for women and watch it. Please answer the following questions in your essay.
- Identify the name of the film, the director and the year the film was made. Briefly explain the plot of the film.
- Analyze the film for the themes and messages about the role of women in American society.
- Are there stereotypes in the film?
- Are there overt messages concerning the role of women?
- Are there hidden messages?
Support your analysis with examples taken directly from the film.
Bonus Questions if you chose a film directed by a woman:
- Are there any stylistic elements in the film that you could possibly contribute to the fact that the director was a woman (without using stereotypes).
- In what ways might the film be different if a man had directed it?