Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Kanopy database is a dynamic resource that is updated regularly to improve usability. Screen shots are provided to give an overview. The interface you access may be slightly different from the images provided in this guide. In those cases, look for similar labels to achieve your desired goal.
Every full-length video, custom clip, and playlist can be shared with a link.
- Click the "Share/embed" button at the bottom of any full-length video, custom clip, or playlist.
- Copy the link in the "Share Link" box
- Paste the link in the desired location (email, Canvas, etc.)
Embedding Kanopy Videos into Canvas
Embedding Kanopy full-length videos and custom clips is easy, and must be done from inside Canvas. Embedding allows videos to be played directly in Canvas without re-directing students to the Kanopy database or requiring an additional login. You must get the embed code from Kanopy first. To do that, follow these steps:
- Click the "Share" button under the video
- Click the "Embed" tab
- Copy the code provided in the box
To add the video to an Assignment in Canvas, follow these steps:
- Click the "Assignments" link on the left in the Canvas toolbar
- Click "+ Assignment" in the upper right
- Give your assignment a name
- A rich text editor will appear. Click the Add Media logo (image of film strip)
- Select the Embed tab
- Paste the embed code copied from Kanopy
- Click OK
- Add any other criteria to your assignment and click "save" in the lower right
Videos aren't limited to Canvas Assignments. They can be added to pages, discussions, quizzes, and more. Follow steps 4-8 anywhere you have access to the Rich Text Editor.